Wooden skewers 6–8 inches long are perfect for this recipe. Do not soak them in water, as you would for grilling.
- canola oil
- 11/2 cups cornmeal
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 lb. large shrimp (21–25 count) peeled and deveined, tails left on
Adapted from mygreatrecipes.com
1.Fill a deep-fat fryer or a deep skillet about one-third full with oil.Heat the oil to 375°F.
2.Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, milk, sour cream, eggs and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well. Add a little more milk if the batter seems too thick for dipping the shrimp.
3.Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. Thread 2 shrimp at a time on wooden skewers. Dip the shrimp in the batter, coating well.
4.Carefully place several skewers of shrimp in the oil with tongs. Fry the shrimp until golden brown and the batter is cooked through, 30–60 seconds. Remove the fried shrimp from the oil with tongs. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (140 Votes)