Tuscan mustard with Vin Santo
This homemade mustard is an excellent condiment for roasted meats. In an attractive jar it also makes a lovely gift.
- 4 1/2 lbs of white grapes
- 2 lbs baking apples (rennettes if available)
- 2 Large pears
- 1 cup vin santo
- 2 tablespoons vin santo
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 4 1/2 ounces candied lemon peel, diced
- 4 8 ounce jars
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
1. Crush grapes in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2 days.
2. squeeze juice through a cheesecloth into a bowl and set aside. Discard pulp.
3. Peel, core and slice apples and pears very thinly. Place in a large nonstick saucepan and add 1 cup vin santo. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until wine is absorbed.
4. Add apple/pear mixture to grape juice and cook over low heat until the mixture has a jamlike consistency (about 30 minutes). Let cool completely.
5. In a small saucepan heat 2 Tbsp vin santo and mix in dry mustard. Add to jam. Stir in candied lemon peel.
6. Pour into small jars and sprinkle the top of each with cinnamon.