Annapolis Valley Chicken
- 3 pounds cut-up chicken - (to 3 1/2)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Dried thyme to taste
- 1/4 pound bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 2 apples cored, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup cream
Season chicken. Fry bacon until crisp. Set aside. Add oil and heat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides. Add bacon, mushrooms, onion and apple.
Heat rum, ignite and pour flaming over chicken. Add apple juice, cover and simmer about 40 minutes or until tender.
Correct seasoning and arrange on a heated platter. Stir cream into sauce and heat to boiling point. Pour over chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve with rice.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.