Oven Roasted Salmon
from America's Test Kitchen
- 1 skin-on salmon fillet (1 3/4 to 2 pounds), about 1 1/2 inches at thickest part (see note)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- TANGERINE-GINGER RELISH:
- 4 tangerines, rind and pith removed and segments cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 scallion, sliced thin (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Following step by step illustrations below, use sharp knife to remove any whitish fat from belly of fillet and cut into 4 equal pieces. Make 4 or 5 shallow slashes about an inch apart along skin side of each piece, being careful not to cut into flesh.
2. Pat salmon dry with paper towels. Rub fillets evenly with oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees and remove baking sheet. Carefully place salmon skin-side down on baking sheet. Roast until centers of thickest part of fillets are still translucent when cut into with paring knife or instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of fillets registers 125 degrees, 9 to 13 minutes. Transfer fillets to individual plates or platter. Top with relish (see related recipes) and serve.
1. Place tangerines in fine-mesh strainer set over medium bowl and drain for 15 minutes.
2. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon tangerine juice from bowl; whisk in scallion, ginger, lemon juice, and oil. Stir in tangerines and season to taste with salt and pepper.