Spicy Portabella Pasta
- 12 ounces fettuccini
- Salt as needed
- 1 pound portabella mushrooms cleaned, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can crushed tomatoes in puree - (15 oz)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus or green beans sliced diagonally
- into 1" pieces - (abt 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Cook fettuccini in boiling salted water until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, slice portabellas; halve each slice.
In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Remove to plate; cover loosely to keep warm.
In same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add garlic, red pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt; cook and stir over medium heat until garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Immediately add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered to blend flavors and thicken sauce, about 5 minutes.
Add asparagus; cover and cook until barely tender, about 1 minute. Stir in cooked mushrooms and any accumulated liquid.
Drain pasta; place in large serving bowl or in individual bowls. Spoon mushroom mixture over pasta. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.