Shiitake And Pea Pods
- 1 pound snow or sugar snap peas
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake (or 1 cup dried shiitake)
- 2 teaspoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown or raw sugar
- 1/4 cup sake or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
If using dry mushrooms, soak in hot water for 30 minutes. Slice mushrooms into 1/2-inch wide slices.
Heat oils in skillet and saute mushrooms over medium-high heat, stirring, until they begin to brown. Sprinkle sugar over mushrooms and add wine and soy sauce. Cook and stir 1 minute, then add pea pods. Reduce heat, cover and steam about 2 minutes. Continue to cook uncovered until most of the liquid is evaporated.
Serve as a side dish or over rice or pasta.
This recipe yields 4 servings.