- 4 flour tortillas - (10" dia)
- 1 tablespoon oil divided
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 8 ounces small white mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and halved - (abt 2 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms cleaned, stems
- removed, caps cut into 1" pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup guacamole (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Stack tortillas with piece of aluminum foil between each. Wrap tightly in foil and place in oven to warm.
In large heavy skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and pepper until onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt; transfer to serving bowl and keep warm until ready to assemble fajitas.
In same skillet, sauté mushrooms in remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil with cumin and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until lightly browned and all liquid has evaporated, abut 8 minutes. Toss with cilantro, lime juice and hot red pepper sauce; transfer to serving bowl. Spoon salsa, sour cream and guacamole, if using, into bowls and serve.
To assemble, guests may spoon pepper and onion mixture, mushrooms, salsa and sour cream on tortillas and roll up. Garnish with guacamole if desired.
Note: If you are preassembling the Fajitas, use a dollop of sour cream or guacamole will keep the tortilla from opening.
This recipe yields 4 servings.