Portabella 'Steaks' Florentine
- 4 medium to large portabella mushrooms - (to 6) cleaned (1 to 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz) thawed, squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup prepared chunky tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil drained, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces fontina cheese shredded (3/4 cup)
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove stems from mushrooms. (Reserve stems to cut up and use in soups, stir-fries, etc.) Lightly brush both sides of mushrooms with oil; arrange on baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes, turning once.
Meanwhile, in small bowl combine spinach and tomato sauce. In another bowl, combine green onions, sun-dried tomatoes and crushed red pepper.
Remove mushroom caps from oven; place stem-side up on baking pan. Spoon spinach mixture into mushrooms, dividing evenly. Top each with an equal amount of sun-dried tomato mixture and sprinkle with fontina cheese.
Return to oven until heated through and cheese begins to melt, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve with additional tomato sauce, if desired.
This recipe yields 3 to 4 servings.