Roasted Potato Salad with Avocado Pesto
- For the salad:
- 2 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil, preferably organic
- 1/2 about 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) fine sea salt, to your taste
- 4-5 medium radishes, trimmed and sliced, then cut into half-moons
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1/2 batch tempeh bacon, cooked well and then crumbled (optional)
- For the dressing:
- 2 cups (480 ml) fresh basil leaves, unpacked (about 25 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil, preferably organic
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) dijon mustard
- 3 drops plain liquid stevia
- 1 medium just-ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) water, to your taste
- fine sea salt, to taste
Adapted from rickiheller.com
Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment, or spray with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, toss the white potatoes with one Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and sprinkle lightly with fine sea salt. Spread out in a single layer on one of the cookie sheets. Next, toss the sweet potato with the other Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and sprinkle lightly with fine sea salt; spread in a single layer on the other cookie sheet (you want to keep the two types of potato separate, as they will cook at different rates and will have to be removed from the oven at different times). Bake 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are just soft and remove from the oven as ready; the sweet potato will likely be cooked first. Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the radishes and green onions in a large salad bowl and set aside. Once the potatoes are ready, add them to the bowl.
Prepare the dressing: In a mini food processor or Magic Bullet, place the basil and garlic and process until the basil is finely chopped. Add remaining dressing ingredients and continue to process until a thick, creamy texture is achieved (add water until desire thickness is reached; I like it similar to mayonnaise). Add the dressing to the bowl and gently toss to coat the potatoes. If desired, sprinkle with tempeh bacon and toss again. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 4 generous servings. Will keep, covered, in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
You'll also love
- Peach Tree Slaw 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Spaghetti with Anchovy, Fresh... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Strawberry-Lemon Detox Drink 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Skinny Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Red Potato-Cauliflower Salad... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Codfish and Potato Fritters 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Avocado Cucumber Soup 4.4/5 (10 Votes)