- 24 medium fresh white mushrooms - (abt 1 lb) cleaned, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1/2 cup crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded hot-pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Remove stems from mushrooms and reserve. On shallow baking pan, place caps stem-side up; brush outside surface lightly with 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil; set aside. Chop mushroom stems (makes about 2/3 cup).
In medium-sized skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until hot; add mushroom stems. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add green onions, tortilla chips and red pepper. Cook and stir until onions are tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly; stir in cheese.
Using teaspoon, fill reserved mushroom caps; top each with tomato slice. Bake until mushrooms are tender and hot, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
This recipe yields 2 dozen appetizers.