Corn, Clam, and Mussel Chowder
Fresh vegetables, hearty seafood, and crumbled bacon make this quick cooking soup a robust one dish meal. A tomato and fennel salad completes the menu.
serving size: 1 1/2 cups
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups diced red potato
- 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 20 mussels (about 1 pound), scrubbed and debearded
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (6 1/2-ounce) cans minced clams, liquid reserved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Thyme sprigs
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion, celery, and chopped thyme to pan; cook 8 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Add potato and bottled juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 9 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2. Stir in corn and mussels; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until mussels open; discard any unopened shells. Combine half-and-half, milk, and flour in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Stir half-and-half mixture and clams into pan; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in 2 tablespoons reserved clam liquid and salt. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Tomato and fennel salad: Combine 4 cups torn romaine lettuce, 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, and 1 cup sliced fennel bulb in a large bowl. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl. Gradually add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour vinaigrette over lettuce mixture; toss well.
You'll also love
- Spinach and Ricotta Pizza 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fiery Grilled Peach and Habanero... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Onion Soup - Beef Au Gratin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Old Bay Fresh Shrimp Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Penne con Salmone, Piselli e Panna 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kentucky Sour Cream Cornbread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Pepper Corn Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Taste of Texas Shrimp and Pasta... 0/5 (0 Votes)