Mushroom Barley Stew
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 medium green pepper chopped
- 1/2 medium red pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 pound mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup dry pearl barley
- 1/2 cup cooked (or canned) chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 3 cups vegetable stock - (to 4)
In a large soup pot, saute the carrots, onions, garlic and peppers in oil on medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms become tender.
Add the barley, chick peas, cumin, salt, pepper, soya sauce and stock and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the barley is cooked.
Serve with hot scones or warmed pita bread.
This recipe yields 4 to 5 servings.
You'll also love
- Mushroom And Green Bean In Lentil... 0/5 (0 Votes)