- 4 medium portabella mushrooms - (1 lb) cleaned, and stems removed
- 1/2 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette or as needed
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves trimmed and torn
- 1/2 cup coarsely-grated carrot
- 4 large whole-wheat pita pockets - (7" dia) warmed
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese sliced
- 1 small tart apple peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted and salted shelled pumpkin seeds (or walnuts, toasted)
Heat grill pan or large skillet over medium heat. Generously brush mushrooms on all sides with vinaigrette. Grill mushrooms until tender and liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes, turning once; drain on paper towels and slice.
In medium-sized bowl, combine spinach and carrot; toss with 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
Trim off 1/3 of each pita and reserve for another use. Open pitas with fingertips; line with cheese slices. Place spinach-carrot mixture, mushrooms, apple and pumpkin seeds into pitas, dividing equally.
This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.