Grilled Pesto Portabella Sandwiches
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium portabella mushrooms - (1 lb) cleaned, and stems removed
- 2 medium zucchini - (12 oz) cut diagonally
- into 8 slices
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper - (8 oz) quartered, and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 Italian sandwich rolls - (8" long) halved crosswise (or 4 Kaiser rolls)
Preheat outdoor or indoor grill.
In large bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt. Add mushrooms, zucchini and red pepper. Toss until well coated. Place vegetables on grill (if using outdoor grill, use a grill rack) with mushrooms stem-side down; reserve any remaining olive oil mixture. Grill 5 minutes. Turn all vegetables; grill 4 minutes longer; remove from grill.
Spoon 1 tablespoon pesto into each mushroom cap. In each, layer 2 slices zucchini, 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 slice red pepper and 1 tablespoon cheese. Return filled mushrooms to grill. Close grill top or tent mushrooms with aluminum foil; grill 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Split rolls horizontally part way through; brush cut surfaces with reserved olive oil and lightly toast on grill. Place a filled portabella in each roll and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.