Peach Bourbon Upside-Down Cake
Add a special twist of Peach Bourbon to your Upside-Down Cake, and everyone will be wanting more.
Photograph by Con Poulos
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 peaches, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 95mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons water in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet and stir until the mixture looks like wet sand. Cook over medium-high heat, gently swirling the pan occasionally but not stirring, until light amber, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and arrange the peaches in concentric circles over the caramel. Drizzle with the bourbon; set the skillet aside.
Whisk the flour, ground pecans, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Beat the butter and the remaining 1 cup sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour, and mix until just incorporated. Pour the batter over the peaches and spread evenly.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if the cake is browning too quickly.) Let sit 15 minutes, then invert onto a platter and let cool completely.
You'll also love
- Homemade Bacon Gravy 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Apricot-Glazed Grilled Pork Chops 4.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Blueberry Surprise French Toast... 4.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Pretzel Bread Bowls 4.3/5 (50 Votes)
- 7 Up Biscuits 4.2/5 (84 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Peach Sorbet 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Strawberry Peach Cobbler 4.7/5 (22 Votes)