Greek Mushroom Spinach Sauce
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced - (abt 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package frozen creamed spinach - (9 oz) thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted calamata or ripe olives
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper - (from 7-oz jar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 tspn dried oregano, crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese - (abt 1 oz)
In nonstick skillet over medium heat cook mushrooms and onion, stirring constantly, until mushrooms are tender and release their liquid, about 6 minutes.
Add spinach, 1/4 cup water, olives, roasted red peppers, oregano and crushed red pepper; cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Just before serving stir in feta cheese.
This recipe yields 4 servings (about 3 cups).