French Onion And Morel Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter plus
- extra for spreading
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions sliced thinly
- 3 3/4 cups beef stock
- 5 tablespoons Madeira or sherry
- 8 medium dried morels
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 cup grated Gruyere, Beaufort or Fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter and oil in large frying pan, add onions and cook 10 to 15 minutes until browned. Transfer onions to a large saucepan, add beef stock, Madeira and morels and simmer 20 minutes.
Toast French bread in broiler on both sides. Butter one side and pile on cheese. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, float cheese toasts on top and broil until brown.
This recipe yields 4 servings.