Crimini And White Bean Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh crimini mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced - (abt 5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 3/4 tspn dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon finely-chopped garlic
- 2 cans ready-to-serve vegetable broth - (14 oz ea)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes - (14 oz) cut bite size
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 cans white (cannellini) beans - (15 1/2 oz ea) drained
In Dutch oven or large skillet, heat oil. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme and garlic; cook and stir until onion is very tender and mushrooms are slightly golden, about 7 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with their liquid and the wine; bring to a boil, cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
In small bowl, mash 1 cup of the beans until smooth; add to stew. Stir in remaining beans; heat until hot. Serve immediately with mound of steamed rice, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings (7 cups).