Creamy Portabella Soup
- 1 pound potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes - (abt 3 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots chopped, (abt 1 cup)
- 1 large onion chopped, (abt 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely-chopped garlic
- 1 pound portabella mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and coarsely chopped - (abt 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
In large saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in sherry; cook for 1 minute.
Remove 1 1/2 cups of the mushroom mixture; set aside. In food processor, puree potatoes and remaining mushroom mixture from skillet until smooth; pour into saucepan. Add milk, chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved 1 1/2 cups mushroom mixture. Simmer over medium heat until hot through, about 10 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings (about 6 1/2 cups).