Creamy Mushroom And Thyme Tart
- 1 3/4 pounds mushrooms (use an interesting mix e.g. Swiss brown, portabello, button)
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cream
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated parmesan
- POPPYSEED TART CASES:
- 6 ounces plain flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 ounces chilled butter cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- PARMESAN WAFERS:
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated parmesan - (to 1 cup)
Filling: Heat butter and oil in a deep frying pan and saute mushrooms until golden brown. Add cream and thyme sprigs and reduce until cream thickens this will take some time. Season to taste. Add peppercorns and parmesan cheese. Keep warm.
Poppyseed Tart Cases: Place flour, salt, sugar, poppy seeds and butter in the bowl of a processor. Process until crumbs form. Add egg yolk and then add water, half a tablespoon at a time, until pastry comes together. Turn out onto a floured board and bring together with your hands.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
On a lightly floured surface roll pastry to a 3mm thickness. Line four 10cm tart tins with pastry. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking. Line with baking paper, fill with beans or rice and bake blind until firm 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans and continue baking until crisp and golden about 5 to 10 minutes.
Parmesan Wafers: Mark circles on baking paper on an oven tray cover each circle with grated parmesan. Cook until cheese is melted and golden. Cool before removing from tray.
Assembly: Warm tart cases and fill with mushroom filling. Top each with a parmesan wafer and decorate with a thyme sprig.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Shiitake Mushroom Sauce With... 0/5 (0 Votes)