Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Muffins
These muffins are laced deliciously with shredded sharp cheddar and slivered jalapeños. The flavor combination is a perfect match.
- 1 large jalapeño
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from thekitchn.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly butter a 12-cup muffin tin — but 9 cups for large muffins or all the cups for smaller muffins.
Cut jalapeño in half and scrape out seeds. Then thinly slice the pepper into half-round slivers.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, egg, and melted butter. Fold in cheese and the jalapeño, reserving a few slivers of pepper to garnish the tops.
Divide batter between 9 or 12 muffin tins. Fill any empty muffin tins half-full with water for even baking. Top the muffins with a sliver or two of jalapeño.
Bake the muffins until golden brown, 20 to 24 minutes. A tester should come out clean from one of the center muffins.
Let the muffins cool briefly before removing from the tin and serving.
For high altitude, reduce baking powder by 1/4 teaspoon.
To reheat leftover muffins, microwave for 20 seconds on high.
You'll also love
- Bunny Nibbles – Carrot Crisps 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Bacon Bourbon Caramel Popcorn 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Mushroom Fried Rice 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Holiday Pinwheels 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Cauliflower Popcorn 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Carrot Muffins Recipe 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Bread Machine Southern Biscuits 3.8/5 (80 Votes)
- Muffin Pan Tuna Melts 4.5/5 (2 Votes)