'Meaty' Mushroom Sandwiches
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar - (to 3) (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil plus
- more for brushing the vegetables
- 2 large portabello mushrooms
- 1 red onion cut into chunks
- 2 tomatoes cut into quarters
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- Basil leaves to taste
Put the vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and 4 tablespoons olive oil in a small jar, and shake well. Set aside.
Clean the mushrooms and remove their stems. Brush the vegetables with olive oil. Grill the mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Place the onion and tomato chunks on skewers and grill, turning often, until lightly charred (or pan fry in a little oil if preferred).
Cut each mushroom in half, and cut the onion and tomato chunks into thin slices.
Spread a little of the vinegar mixture on each slice of bread, then top with the mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and basil leaves.
This recipe yields 4 servings.