Two Mushroom Parmesan Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini* (or other dried mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (28 oz) undrained and broken up
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar - (to 2) to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* You can use fresh mushrooms only if you prefer
In small bowl combine dried mushrooms with 1/2 cup of water and let soak about 20 minutes. In large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add fresh mushrooms and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
In a large sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 to 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and basil and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and their liquid, 1 cup water, wine, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Drain the dried mushrooms and add to the tomato mixture in the sauce pan with the soaking liquid. Pour liquid slowly because it may contain grit from the dried mushrooms. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add the fresh mushrooms and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
Serve with spaghetti, fettucini, ravioli, chicken or sausage.
This recipe yields ?? servings.