Turkey And Shiitake Popovers
- POPOVER BATTER:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced shiitake mushrooms stems removed
- 1 cup cubed or shredded turkey
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnish
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Blend eggs, milk, salt, pepper, thyme and flour. While whisking, drizzle in melted butter.
Transfer to greased and preheated popover or large muffin tins, filling half-full. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until batter has puffed up and turned golden brown.
Meanwhile, prepare sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine mushroom soup and wine or chicken stock. Stir in turkey and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Cook until turkey is warmed through, 5 to 10 minutes.
To serve, place popover on plate and split open. Ladle the topping into the popover. If desired, garnish with a few sprigs of fresh thyme.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.