- 4 portabella mushrooms - (4" dia)
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions (pencil onions)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (or other sweet nutty cheese)
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (or 1/2 tspn dried sage)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Rinse mushrooms, remove stems and pat dry. Chop stems and saute along with onions, garlic and butter or olive oil. Add bread crumbs, cheese, sage, wine, salt and pepper.
Brush mushroom caps with olive oil and place mushroom caps in a shallow oven pan. Fill with stuffing mixture and add broth to pan. Cook at 350 degrees until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with (melted) cheese.
This recipe yields 4 servings.