Hot Dog Bun Sugar Cookies
These hot dog bun sugar cookies can be topped with pink and orange frosting to mimic a real hotdog with mustard! Shredded coconut also makes a great dupe for chopped onion! This fun recipe is perfect for kids' birthdays or April Fools' Day.
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but not meltingly soft
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
In a large bowl beat the sugar, butter, shortening, and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg, corn syrup, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed for a total of 1 minute.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and baking soda to combine; then add to the mixer. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, just to combine. Scrape down the bowl and then mix on medium-low speed for another 30 seconds to mix the dough uniformly.
Gently roll the dough into ovals of about 1/4 cup each. Roll the balls in sugar, then lightly press a dent into the middle of each log with your finger. Arrange at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Bake until the edges are golden and the tops are cracked but not completely set, 13 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (493 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (405 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Balls 4.6/5 (311 Votes)
- Kool-Aid Ice Cubes in Sprite 4.5/5 (234 Votes)