- 24 whole button mushrooms, abt 1" to 1 1/2" wide cleaned, and stems removed
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 ounces hon-shimeji mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 tspn dried basil, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Slivered almonds or pine nuts for garnish
Set aside whole button mushrooms; chop stems and reserve.
In skillet melt butter. Saute reserved stems, with chopped hon-shimeji mushrooms, garlic and onion about 3 minutes, or till all liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle flour over mixture; add cream. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Add basil, parsley, and pepper; stir to blend well. Remove from heat.
Place whole mushroom caps, stem-side up on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spoon mushroom mixture into caps, mounding slightly. Sprinkle a few almonds or pine nuts over each mushroom. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Run under broiler 2 minutes just to brown. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 24 buttons.