Parmesan Portabella Burger
- RED PEPPER SPREAD:
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 portabella mushroom caps - (3" to 4" dia) cleaned
- 4 rolls or buns
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- Lettuce or spinach leaves
- Cooking spray as needed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Combine wet in another and mix until frothy. Dip mushroom caps and then coat with dry mixture. Repeat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes in a 400 degree oven, stem-side down. Done when coating is crisp and mushroom is tender. Place cheese on top and melt. Serve immediately.
For the Red Pepper Spread: Mix all ingredients well and serve with bella burger.
This recipe yields 4 servings.