- 170 g / 6 oz Shortcrust pastry, or use a ready made UNBAKED pie crust.
- 2 Tablespoons warmed Lemon Curd.
- 125 g or 1 stick butter
- 125 g or 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 g or 1 1/3 cups ground almonds
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons All purpose / Plain Flour. (if you don't want to use flour, swap it for extra ground almonds & 1 tsp baking powder or same amount in Tapioca flour)
- 2 Tablespoons milk.
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
Adapted from lovefoodies.com
The Pastry *** If you are using a shop bought pastry case, skip and go to the filling instructions!
1. Put the oven on to 190C, 375F,Gas 5
2. Make your shortcrust pastry.
3. Grease your flan dish & make sure you grease up the sides too.
4. Roll out the pastry into the shape of your flan dish. Make sure there is enough to reach up the sides of your dish.
5. Use your rolling pin to transfer the pastry to the dish.
6. Gently push the pastry around the sides of the dish. It's easier to lift the pastry a little and then push into the sides.
7. Use a sharp knife and trim the edges to make it tidy.
If you spot any holes or bits of pastry missing, use some of your cut offs to patch up.
8. Now you will need to prepare the flan case to take the wet filling. You need to first 'Bake blind' the pastry. See here for more information. You need to bake blind for 15 minutes in the oven.
9. Once you have baked blind your pastry, you need to get all your filling ingredients ready if you haven't done so already.
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light in colour and fluffy.
2. Slowly add the beaten eggs. If the mixture looks like it is starting to split, add a tablespoon of your ground almonds.
3. Add almonds and flour and lemon zest.
4. Add the milk and lemon juice, and gently (low setting on your mixture) combine.
5. Spread the warmed jam onto the base of your pastry.
6. Add the cake mixture to the flan case.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Test with a metal skewer. Stick it in the centre, if it comes out clean your frangipane is ready! ***Some ovens are a lot faster so take a look after 20 minutes to see if it's cooked.
8. Leave to cool then turn out onto a dish .
9. Make yourself a lovely cup of tea and enjoy a slice of your tart.