Simple Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs
Crunch, spice and big flavors give this dish a satisfaction-power that goes beyond breakfast. Using a rotisserie chicken and already-made salsa make it an easy thing to throw together quickly, and partially covering the egg pan helps create the perfect sunny-side-up egg, without any jiggly whites.
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, white and dark meat shredded, skin discarded
- One 12-ounce jar tomatillo salsa
- 1 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 fresh corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch squares
- Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- Mexican crema, for drizzling
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 white onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 limes, wedged, for garnish
Adapted from cookingchanneltv.com
1. Add the chicken, salsa and hot sauce to a medium saucepot with a lid. Place over low heat to warm through.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter with the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts, add half the corn tortillas, increase the heat to high and fry the tortillas, stirring constantly, until crisp and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Once crisp, pour the chips onto a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and generously season with salt. Add 1 more tablespoon butter to the skillet and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
3. Wipe out the nonstick skillet and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, gently crack the eggs into the skillet. Once the whites are just beginning to set and turn white, partially cover the skillet with the lid and let the eggs cook through, 1 or 2 minutes for sunny-side up.
4. To build your chilaquiles, plate a generous pile of fried tortillas and top with the tomatillo smothered shredded chicken. Drizzle over some crema, sprinkle some cilantro leaves and white onion, crumble some cheese over top and finally top it all with a beautifully fried egg. Serve with lime wedges and additional hot sauce on the side.