Maine Watercress Salad With Warm Roasted Morels
- ROASTED VEGETABLES:
- 20 fresh morel mushrooms halved, cleaned
- 1 large red onion halved, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon green jalapeño pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup torn fresh watercress
- 12 fresh chives cut 1" pieces
Heat oven to 500 degrees. In a 13- by 9-inch baking pan, combine morels, onion, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and roast for 5 minutes.
In a large salad bowl, combine mustard, 2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice, pepper sauce, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well. Add lettuce, watercress and chives and toss gently until greens are well coated. Top with warm roasted mushrooms and onions.
This recipe yields 4 servings.