Lemon-Poppy Seed Bread
The addition of lemon peel intensifies the bread's citrus flavor and the poppy seeds add a crunchy texture with slightly nutty flavor. Yum!
- LEMON ICING:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Lemon juice and/or milk
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Coat a 4- to 5-quart oval slow cooker or a 4-quart round slow cooker with cooking spray. In a large bowl stir together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, milk, lemon peel, lemon juice, and the 1 teaspoon vanilla until sugar dissolves. Add sugar mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until combined (mixture should still be slightly lumpy). Spoon batter into prepared slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until top appears set. Turn off slow cooker. Carefully remove lid so condensation from lid does not drip onto bread. Cover opening of slow cooker completely with paper towels; place lid on top. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a knife around edges of slow cooker; remove bread from cooker. Cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, drizzle with Lemon Icing.
In a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar and lemon peel. Stir in enough lemon juice and/or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach drizzling consistency.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Banana Bread 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- 4th of July Rice Krispies Treats 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Broccoli Cheese Soup 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Deep Fried Apple Pies 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers 4.2/5 (54 Votes)
- Mille-Crepe Tiramisu Cake 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes (with... 4.7/5 (17 Votes)