Gingered Carrot Rice With Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots peeled, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms - (to 6) coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
In a large sauce pan, saute shallots, garlic and ginger in butter until soft. Add rice and stir until all the grains are coated with butter. Add water, carrots, salt and pepper and mix. Cover and bring to a boil and simmer for 12 minutes.
Add the shiitake mushrooms evenly over the rice. Do not stir, but cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until rice is tender. Stir in green onions and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.