Red Chili and Honey-Glazed Turkey with Ancho Pan Gravy
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 4 oz dried ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded, torn into small pieces
- 1 lb plum tomatoes, halved
- 5 large heads of garlic
- 2 tblsp plus 2 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp chili powder
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1 14lb turkey
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 5 1/2 cups stock
- 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1. Bring 3 1/2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat. add ancho chilies and let stand 1 hour. Drain, reserving 2/3 cup liquid. Combine chilis and reserved liquid in processor; process to smooth thick paste. Using rubber spatula, press ancho paste through strainer; discard solids in strainer. Set aside.
2. Position rack in center of oven and preheat ot 400 degrees. Arrange tomatoes in single layer in oiled 13x9inch baking pna. Cut top 1/4 off heads of garlic; discard tops. Arrange garlic, cut side up, in single layer in small glass baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tblsp chicken broth and oil; cover baking idsh tightly with foil. Place tomatoes and garlic in oven. Roast tomatoes until softened and lightly browned, turning once, about 30 minutes. bake garlic utnil tender when pierced with skewer, about 1 hour. Place tomatoes in processor and blend to smooth puree. Allow garlic to cool, then squeeze garlic cloves from skins into small bowl. mash garlic with fork to smooth puree.
3. Position rack in bottom third of ovne and preheat to 325. Mix 3 tblsp garlic puree, butter, chili powder and 1 tblsp honey in small bowl until wellb lende.d season to taste with salt and pepper. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Starting at neck end, carefully slide hand between skin and breast beat to loosen skin. Spread all but 2 tblsp garlic - chili butter until turkey skin. Rub outside of turkey with remaining garlic chili butter. Palce turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Roast 1 hour. Combine orange juice with 2/3 cup chicken broth.. Pour mixture over turkey. Continue roasting until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees, basting withh pan juices every 20 minutes and adding more broth as needed if pan juices evaporate, about 3 hours longer. Transfer turkey to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.
4. Add 1 cup chicken broth to pan juices and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Strain pan juices into heavy large saucepn; discard solids in strainer. Spoon fat off top; discard fat. Add ancho paste, tomato puree, remaining garlic puree and 5 1/2 cups stock. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add chocolate; stir until smooth. mix in remaining 1 tblsp honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve gravy alongside turkey.