Three Mushroom Soup
- 3 ounces dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms
- 5 cups cold strong vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small leeks (white part only) thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 small potatoes peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (white or exotic) thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- Enoki mushrooms for garnish
Soak dried mushrooms in 2 cups of stock for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve stock. Strain stock through cheesecloth or fine sieve. Combine with remaining stock and set aside.
In large saucepan, heat oil, add leeks, onion, potato and garlic and saute over medium heat until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and parsley and saute for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally with wooden spoon. Add reserved dried and stock.
Bring to a boil partially cover and simmer 30 minutes over low-medium heat until mushrooms are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer half the soup to a food processor and puree. (You can puree all of the potatoes and onions, not mushrooms.) Return to pot and mix well. Add sherry and simmer until very hot. Ladle into heated soup bowls and garnish with enoki mushrooms.
This recipe yields 8 servings.