Sweet 'n Hot Corn Relish (For Canning)
This is a flavorful corn relish with a little heat from jalapeno peppers or other hot peppers.
- 9 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen thawed
- 2 pounds sweet onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped red and green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped hot peppers, such as Hungarian red wax, jalapenos, etc.
- 3 cups cider vinegar (at least 5% acidity)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon canning salt or kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Adapted from bing.com
Prepare the jars and lids. Fill a boiling water canner about halfway with water. Add the jars and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and keep jars hot. Scald the lids and keep in the very hot -- not boiling --water.
In a large kettle combine corn, onions, bell peppers, hot peppers, vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, celery seed, and turmeric. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Spoon the relish into the hot jars and wipe rims and jar threads with a damp paper towel. Using a jar lid magnet or tongs, fit the jars with lids and screw on rings tightly.
Place on a rack in the canner and lower into the water. Bring back to the boil, cover, and boil gently for 15 minutes.
Makes 6 to 7 1-pint jars.