Pakistani-Style Mushrooms In Pita
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 dried hot chiles crushed (or 4 jalapeño chiles, sliced)
- 2 large onions sliced
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 small eggplant peeled, and thinly sliced, then cut crosswise julienne
- 15 fresh shiitake caps - (to 20) stems removed, and caps sliced in half
- Salt to taste
- Pita breads lightly heated, (or lightly-toasted white bread)
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to smoke. Add the garlic, cardamom, cumin, and chiles. Stir vigorously for half a minute, then add the onions, tomatoes, eggplant, and the shiitake. Stir over high heat, adding more oil if necessary.
Saute until the vegetables are well cooked, limp, and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Salt to taste. Stuff the pitas with the mixture and serve. Remember, no forks except to fill the pita pockets.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
Suggested accompaniment: Beer
You'll also love
- Bavarian Mushroom Soup With... 4/5 (1 Votes)