Individual Italian Shepherd's Pies Topped with Butternut Squash
I think you will find this version of Shepherd's Pie much more satisfying and interesting! These little cups are only 4 points each. The recipe makes 12, so think of serving these for a little party or they make great left overs for lunch the next day. I served this with a green salad and some hot, crusty French bread.
Serves 12 ( 4 points +)
- 2-1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 T. butter
- 1-4 c. - 1/2 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 5 T. Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 19.5 oz. ( 5 links) Jenny O hot turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 c, fat-free beef broth
- 1 ( 28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- oregano, salt, pepper and basil to taste
- 1 can ( 14.75 oz) cut green beans, drained
Preheat oven to 425 and spray 12 ( 8 oz) ramekins with nonstick spray. Place ramekins on a large baking sheet.
In a large saucepan, cook squash in boiling water until tender. Drain. Return squash to pan and add butter, 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and chicken broth starting with 1/4 c. using up to 1/2 c. for desired consistency. Mash.
In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until no longer pink. Remove from pan and drain.
Spray pan with nonstick spray, Add 1 tsp oil. Cook onion until tender. ADd garlic and cook 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened ( about 5 minutes). Stir in green beans. Return sausage to pan and heat through.
Spoon sausage mixture evenly into ramekins. Top with mashed squash.
Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 T. Parmesan cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Fettucini with Shrimp, Goat... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Mama's Family Leg of Lamb 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Black Bean Chili 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- New Orleans Poached Oysters in... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Pumpkin Raisin Muffins 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Pasta with Bacon... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)