Enoki Salad With Cepe Oil And Watercress-Savory Puree
- CEPE OIL:
- 1/2 cup fresh watercress - (packed)
- 1/2 cup fresh savory - (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3 ounces enoki mushrooms stems trimmed
- 4 asparagus spears cut fine julienne
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Cepe Oil (listed below)
- 1 ounce dried cepes
- 3 cups safflower or sunflower oil
Reserve a few of the watercress and savory leaves for a garnish. Trim the stems of the remainder and place in a blender with 2 tablespoons water and the vinegar. Process until you have a fine puree. Set aside.
Toss the enoki with the sliced asparagus, salt to taste, and lemon juice. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Pour the oil around the salad, then drizzle some of the watercress-savory puree over the oil in a decorative fashion. Serve, garnished with the watercress and savory leaves.
Cepe Oil: Place the mushrooms and oil in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Let sit for several weeks in a cool spot, until a noticeable change in color occurs. Do not let the oil sit where it is above 70 degrees or it may become rancid. Cepe Oil will keep for several weeks or longer if refrigerated. (Makes 3 cups)
This recipe yields 4 servings.