Avocado, Caper, and Pickled-Onion Toast
- Bright onions, sweet avocado, and salty capers come together in this quick tartine.1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 avocado, pitted
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 1 ounce smoked trout or 1/2 soft-cooked egg, for topping (optional)
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon capers, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 avocado, pitted
2 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
1 ounce smoked trout or 1/2 soft-cooked egg, for topping (optional) the onion, lemon juice, capers, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand until the onions soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
In another bowl, mash the lemon zest and avocado with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Spread half of the avocado mixture on one slice of toast and top with half the onions. If desired, add either the smoked trout or the soft-cooked egg. Repeat with remaining ingredients, and serve immediately.