Ina Garten's Blue Cheese Souffle'
If you want to try your hand at making a souffle but you're intimidated, this is the recipe for you. The key is to organize all of your ingredients ahead of time.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup scalded milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 4 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3 ounces good Roquefort cheese, chopped
- 5 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Butter the inside of an 8-cup souffle dish (7 1/2 inches in diameter and 3 1/4 inches deep) and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
NOTE: I used 4 small ramekins and make "collars" with parchment paper so the souffle could rise higher.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Off the heat, whisk in the hot milk (I heated it in the microwave for about 90 seconds), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, the cayenne, and nutmeg.
Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, until smooth and thick.
Off the heat, while still hot, whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in the Roquefort and the 1/4 cup of Parmesan and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Put the egg whites, cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
Beat on low speed for 1 minute, on medium speed for 1 minute, then finally on high speed until they form firm, glossy peaks.
Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the cheese sauce to lighten and then fold in the rest.
Pour into the souffle dish, then smooth the top.
Draw a large circle on top with the spatula to help the souffle rise evenly, and place in the middle of the oven.
Turn the temperature down to 375°F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (don't peek!) until puffed and brown. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Cocoa Puffs Banana Cream Pie 4.3/5 (39 Votes)
- Southern Pecan Pie Bars 3.9/5 (73 Votes)
- Tuscan Tortellini Salad 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Individual Peach Souffle 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- CHEESE SOUFFLE WITH BACON ARUGULA... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- German Cottage Cheese Souffle... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
Review this recipe