Low Fat Fish Chowder
- 2 c cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 bottles clam juice (240 ml ea)
- 2 slices bacon,, finely chopped
- 1 lg sweet or Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 celeriac peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb white fleshed fish (frozen pkg)
In saucepan, simmer potatoes in clam juice until tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to blender, blend on low speed just until smooth. Set aside
In soup pot over medium heat, fry bacon until fat is rendered, 3-4 minutes, fry onion, leek, celeriac, carrots and bay leaf, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in thyme, salt, pepper and 4 cups water, bring to boil Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Cut fish into chunks, add to pot and simmer covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in potato mixture and bring to simmer. Remove bay leaf.