Buffet Chicken Cacciatore
Found this recipe in the Chicago Tribune, nearly 25 years ago. It became an INSTANT family favorite. Although the recipe is written to serve a crowd - it is very easily adaptable to suit your needs. I adjust everything but the seasonings when I make less (and sometimes that's just 3 bone in breasts). Cooking with the bone in, is essential in this recipe and the chicken becomes "fall off the bone" tender by the long cooking in the "sauce".
Serve it with your favorite fork-sized pasta - it makes an incredible sauce as it cooks.
- olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 large frying chickens. cut up
- salt & pepper
- Two 28 oz cans Italian Whole Plum Tomatoes
- 1 teasp sugar
- 1/2 teasp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teasp salt
- 1/4 teasp black pepper
- 1/2 teasp oregano
- 1/2 teasp basil
- 1/2 teasp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green bell peppers cut into strips
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 120mins
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cover bottom of large roasting pan with olive oil. Add onions and garlic and brown lightly. Salt, pepper chicken parts and lightly brown.
3) place tomatoes with juice in blender or food processor (I just break the tomatoes up by hand) and blend briefly to break up. Add sugar, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, & bay leaf. Mix well and add green peppers.
4) Remove chicken pieces to large shallow baking dishes. Layer dark meat in one and white meat in another. Pour sauce over all and cover with foil.
Bake one hour (or less).
5) Remove foil, increase oven heat to 450 degrees and bake until chicken is delicately brown.
Baste with sauce a few times and serve with your favorite small pasta.
You'll also love
- Chicken Curry - Gang Gai... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken with Cherry Chipotle Sauce 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Butterscotch Pound Cake 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken... 4.2/5 (23 Votes)
- Baked Boneless Chicken Breast 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Sweet Apple BBQ Chicken 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Baked Artichoke Chicken 4.1/5 (22 Votes)