- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup medium-sliced scallions white part only
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 18 medium to large fresh shiitake caps stems removed
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 1/2 large red bell pepper cored, and cut into 1/4" slices
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked green banana or plantain
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped fresh cilantro - (firmly packed)
Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, cayenne pepper, 1/2 cup cold water, and the cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
Saute the scallions and garlic over medium heat in the olive oil in a large saute pan for 30 seconds. Add the shiitake and continue to saute for 2 minutes. If the shiitake do no give off any liquid, add about 2 tablespoons water. Stir in the pineapple, red pepper, and banana or plantain. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the cilantro and soy sauce mixture slowly while stirring. Heat until the dish is lightly thickened add a little more water if too thick. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Suggested wine: Sweet or semisweet Parker Riesling