Peanut butter cup chocolate cupcakes
makes about 18 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes
- Servings: approximately 18 cupcakes
- 1 and 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- For the filling: (OR USE A PEANNUT BUTTER CUP!)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup cream peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the frosting:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- For garnish:
- Miniature Reeses cups
- Chocolate sprinkles
1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line cupcake pans with the liners of your choice.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the sour cream, milk, and vanilla, mixing well.
5. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
6. Add the eggs to the butter/sugar, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
7. Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, alternately add the sour cream mixture and the flour mixture, mixing until combined. Set aside.
8. For the filling: Using an electric hand mixer (or a clean bowl for your standing mixer) combine the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Using your hands, roll the filling into 1-inch balls.
9. Place one tablespoon of the chocolate cupcake batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner and place a peanut butter filling ball on top of this layer. Cover each peanut butter ball completely with the remaining cupcake batter.
10. Bake the cupcakes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 18-22 minutes or so. Let cool completely before frosting.
11. For the frosting: In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a hand mixer, combine the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth.
12. Pipe as desired onto each cupcake. Top with a miniature Reeses cup. Enjoy.