Parsnip and potato soup
- one medium-sized leek, white part only, cut into half lengthwise, rinsed well between the layers and thinly sliced
- two shallots, chopped to yield about 1/4 cup
- For medium-sized parsnips (about 1/2 pound), peeled and chopped
- Two large yellow boiling potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the leek, shallots, parsnips, potatoes, and stock in a heavy four quart saucepan and place over high heat. Season with salt to taste and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover the pan, and simmer until the parsnips and potatoes are tender, about 20 min., stirring the chives and parsley and allow to stand for 5 min.
Using an immersion blender process until smooth. Return soup to the saucepan, season with salt and pepper to taste and reheat before serving.