SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE GF
- 6 or 7 cooked mashed sweet potatoes (baked or boiled) selection tip: choose small or medium sweet potatoes with smooth skin and no/few bruises
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3 or 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, depending on taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (fresh is important or you may get a flavor that overwhelms the sweet potatoes- so aim for fresh!)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup pecan halves for topping
- salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl except the egg and the pecan halves (topping). Taste the mixture and adjust your salt and sugar if needed. Stir in egg. Put in casserole dish and top with pecan halves. I like to make some sort of design with the topping, but it is not necessary. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until set.
Make ahead: This sweet potato casserole can be made one day ahead. Just refrigerate and top with plastic wrap. I add my pecan halves before I put it in the oven and add an additional 5-7 minutes to the baking time.