VEGETABLE SPLIT-PEA SOUP
- 2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 2 (11-1/2 oz) cans (3 cups) tomato juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped peeled turnip or potato
- 1/3 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
In a 6-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, combine split peas and 12 cups water. Bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Remove heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
Drain liquid from peas; return to Dutch oven. Add 5 cups water, tomato juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until peas are tender.
Add cabbage, carrots and turnip or potato. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese.