BAKER STREET'S PAVLOVA WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE MASCARPONE AND STRAWBERRIES
Every year I love Baker Street’s dessert at Toronto Taste. But this year it was the best one yet. It tasted like summer. You can make small ones to eat in a bite or two or, larger ones for individual desserts.
- Makes 8 large or 24 mini
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Port wine
- 3 oz chopped white chocolate
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and finely diced
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 12 2" circles on each, leaving space in between or if you are making 8 large ones, do 5" circles. Turn paper over. Beat egg whites with a mixer until opaque and form soft peaks. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time. Fold in vinegar and cornstarch. Pipe or spoon mixture to fill circles. Make wells in the centre with the back of a spoon. Bake in a preheated 250F oven for 40 minutes or one hour for large ones or until dry but not brown. 2. For Port wine drizzle, bring Port to a boil in a small saucepan and cook until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Be sure it doesn’t burn. Cool. 3. For filling bring cream to a boil and pour over chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Cool. Refrigerate until cold - a few hours. Mix half of cream with mascarpone until smooth. Stir in remaining cream and beat until mixtures holds peaks and sis spreadable. 4. For salsa combine mango, berries, mint and lime juice. 5. To serve, spoon a little cream on each meringue and top with a small spoonful of strawberry mixture. Drizzle with a tiny bit of reduced Port.