Black And White Grits
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt as needed
- 3/4 cup grits not instant
- 4 ounces fresh black trumpet mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ounces taleggio rind removed, and cut into chunks
- 1 dash hot red pepper sauce
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Place milk in a large heavy saucepan, and add salt and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. While whisking constantly, slowly add grits. Lower heat and simmer, stirring until grits are thickened and taste cooked.
While grits cook, wash mushrooms, drain and squeeze dry. Coarsely chop. Melt butter in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, then add mushrooms. Saute about 10 minutes.
When grits are cooked, mix in cheese. Season with hot sauce, pepper and more salt if desired. Stir in mushrooms.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.